Each day has 2 workshops that are held at the same time (parallel rooms). Whatever your preference, you can opt for one workshop/day. 🙂
Workshops program: 9-12
Fri 21st of Oct
Workshop 1: Chest drain placement & Wound management (DVM Akash Alexander, Resident of ECVS)
- A practical approach to dealing with emergency pleural space disease and wound care in the first aid setting
- We will cover indications for chest drains, placement and aftercare; wound management in the first aid setting.
- Indication, placement and management of tie-over bandages.
Workshop 2 : First aid in foals (DVM Rose Tallon, Dip.ACVIM -LA)
- Learn CPR training in different scenarios
Sat 22nd of Oct
Workshop 3: Simulation based Canine and Feline CPR training & Catheterisation (DVM Mălina Filipaș, Resident of ECVAA)
- learn how to gain intravenous access in the canine and feline patient
- tips and tricks for successful intravenous, intraosseous and intraarterial catheterisation
- simulation based CPR training where you will learn how to approach cardiopulmonary arrest in dogs and cats and the ABC of cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Workshop 4: First aid in Exotics & Wildlife (DVM Lucia Bel, Res.ECZM & NAC team)
- The NAC team from the faculty of FMV Cluj-Napoca will teach you about triage of exotics, catheter placement in various species, intubation, trauma assessment and the ABCs of first aid and emergency in New Companion species.
Sun 23rd of Oct
Workshop 5: LAER (Large animal rescue) – DVM Ovidiu Roșu, PhD.
- The aim of this training is to offer the knowledge and a hands-on experience on the best practices of rescuing animals found in critical or potential dangerous circumstances, focusing is both the animal safety and its responders during the rescue process.
- During this lecture the trainees are learning about distressed animal approach, basic behaviour evaluation, proper handling and transport of different species, the risks associated with every rescue, animal first aid principles and what to do with the animal after its rescue.
- The hands-on part of the training is involving the handling of a 300 kg horse mannequin and specific logistics, trying to simulate real life rescue scenarios.
Safe animal rescue (all types of animals)
– from how to approach a bird to a horse
– the big no-nos
– basics in proper handling and transport depending on species
– animal behaviour normal and in distress
– risks: injuries, transmittable diseases
– animal first aid principles- what to do with the animal after rescue
4h + Training:
– animal rescue logistics presentation and proper use
– head halter mounting, emergency rope knots
– large animal handling and rescue with the mannequin
-safe lateral, front, backward, upwards assist and emergency extraction
– rescue glide use and horse immobilisation on glide
– rescue scenarios: safe extraction from hard terrain: concrete rubbles, wall, holes, trailer glide loading and swamp rescue
Workshop 6: Ophthalmological emergencies -basic surgical skills – DVM Cristina Taulescu, PhD.
- Surgical management of traumatic proptosis
- Enucleation of the globe: step by step subconjunctival and transpalpebral techniques
- Temporary tarsorraphy and the third eyelid flap -indications and technique
Lectures program (21-22nd of Oct, 13.30-20.00):
- Anatomy, surgery and aftercare of BOAS patients (Akash Alexander DVM, AFHEA MRCVS Resident of ECVS, Queen’s Veterinary Animal Hospital, University of Cambridge.)
- Presentation, stabilisation and recovery of BOAS patients (Mălina Filipaș DVM, MSc AFHEA MRCVS Resident of ECVAA, Queen’s Veterinary Animal Hospital, University of Cambridge.)
- Emergencies in Foals (Rose Tallon DVM, VetMB BA MVetMed DipACVIM MRCVS, Donnington Grove)
- Considerations for pediatric anaesthesia (Mălina Filipaș DVM, MSc AFHEA MRCVS Resident of ECVAA, Queen’s Veterinary Animal Hospital, University of Cambridge.)
- Exotics (NAC) – Is this an emergency? (Lucia Bel, DVM, PhD, Res.ECZM, Lecturer FMV Cluj-Napoca)
- Management of pain in horses (Rose Tallon DVM, VetMB BA MVetMed DipACVIM MRCVS, Donnington Grove)
- The Dreaded “Big, Fat pyometra” (Akash Alexander DVM, AFHEA MRCVS Resident of ECVS, Queen’s Veterinary Animal Hospital, University of Cambridge.)
- Emergencies in Adult Horses (Rose Tallon, DVM, VetMB BA MVetMed DipACVIM MRCVS, Donnington Grove)
- Anaesthesia for emergency tracheostomy / Emergency tracheostomy (joined lecture Mălina Filipaș DVM, MSc AFHEA MRCVS Resident of ECVAA, Queen’s Veterinary Animal Hospital, University of Cambridge & Akash Alexander DVM, AFHEA MRCVS Resident of ECVS, Queen’s Veterinary Animal Hospital, University of Cambridge.)
- Recognizing and managing emergencies in donkeys (Alexandra Mureșan, DVM, PhD, Lecturer FMV Cluj-Napoca)
- How much is too much? – the ethical concerns of human assisted living in medically compromised animals (Ovidiu Roșu, DVM, PhD, ARCA)
- Mental health -How to perform a self-assessment (Grația Bolat, Junior vet)
- 2 (two) Q & A Sessions with speakers of the day (students ask)
Check out program here: https://juniorvet.ro/program-2/